Wednesday, April 12, 2023

12 Inch Walnut Bowl.

At one of the club meetings I received a slab of walnut. First, I made an eight-inch bowl and added a maple bottom that I made into legs. That was published on 7 April on this site. That left me with a larger section of the slab. Below is a twelve-inch walnut bowl made from that section of the slab. On one edge there was a section of branch wood and I filled it with two-part epoxy so the lip would be smooth after using CA glue to stabilize it. 

Archie Patterson


This is the top view of the 12-inch walnut bowl. 






 

This is the bottom view of the 12-inch walnut bowl.

 
This the oblique view showing the area that had some fill added.  Height is about 3 inches.

 This section of the walnut slab has some great grain and color.   In the center of the wood is the edge of a small hole.  It does not look like a worm hole but where a twig once grew. My wife does not like me to fill these in as she feels it ads character.  There are two more small holes visible on the bottom as well.  Because my back does not let me work for more than a couple of hours at a time, I notice the shape changed some after each break.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment