Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Archie's Wood Box from heart of a burl

 I had a section of a burl and the outer sections had gone bad with lots of worm holes pulpy sections.  This box was made from the inner section.    

I used CA glue on the bark and was able to retain a small section of the bark.  The lid has lots of worm  holes and was a little pulpy.  I used CA glue on that area.  As I turned some additional worm holes appeared and they are lighter as the CA treated worm holes turned dark.  

This the box with the lid off.  You can see where a knot went thru the lid.

The finished bottom has some decoration.

The bottom of the inside has some interesting grain patterns.

the bottom of the lid shows some interesting grain pattern and a few worm holes.

To turn the lid I turned the lid using a mounting block and made lid so it would fit into the opening of the box.  I then used rubber jaws to hold the turned edge and turned the top of the lid.  The knob on the top is a different section of wood that was glued between the lid and the mounting block. 






No comments:

Post a Comment