Sunday, March 21, 2021

Turning Boxes without a chuck by Steve Promo

Below is a paraphrase/edite of Steve's note:

A friend of mine moved to Florida and he decided to learn to turn wood.  He bought a JET mini clone and I have been working with him on small turning projects.  

Yesterday, I turned a Raffan style lidded rosewood box and he watched.  Today he is turning one by himself.  I will photograph both boxes and send you the pics when I can.  They are East Indian rosewood from a tree in his back yard.  

Mark does not have a chuck yet, so we used glue blocks on a face-plate.   As I thought about all the steps involved, including sanding and finishing at various stages I realized it was a rather complex lesson for a new turner, so I sat down and sketched out the steps to give to him.  Thought some of our members might like to try them.  Below are my sketches.
Thanks

Steve

  
And the finished product is beautiful.  Pictures senty in by Steve Promo on 2021_03_22
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment