Saturday, March 19, 2022

Mount for Lathe Chuck Jaws

 I have three chucks and each has more than one set of jaws.   I had the jaws stored in a wooden box but decided that having them on a shelf would be better and keep the jaws together.    I bought the top chuck form Tom Cadwalder and it had one set of jaws.  None of the other jaws would fit the chuck.  I was looking thru the Grizzly catalog and spotted a chuck and jaws that looked like this one.  I contacted Grizzly and they measured the spacing of the screws and raised flut on the back and it matched the chuck.  I ordered the jaws and they work fine.  

In this picture you can see the three chucks hanging on PVC pipe inserted into a piece cedar.  Below are three face plates, bottom two have rubber for pressure holding work and the top one has sanding paper.  To the left is the shelve unit I made to hold the jaws for the chucks.  A thick cedar board, left over from my house construction in 2009, was used for the wall mount and left over cedar cedar siding was used for the shelves.  


 The close up view shows the dado joints I made using a radial arm saw and dado blades.  The radial arm saw allowed me to secure the wood and move the blade thru the wood.  The cedar siding boards were run thru a planner to remove the exterior finish and make sure they were the right thickness for the dado joints.  

To turned the 4-inch recess for the jaws to set in I used a set jaws with rubber coated pegs to hold the work in place off setting the work to one end so the recess, shown in pencil, can be cut.  With pins on all four sides secured the wood in place so the wood could be turned and the recess cut safely.  The dark rubber coated pins came with the jaws and the ones on the left I made using a dowel with a rubber hose over the outside for better grip and appropriate sized screws thru the center that screw into the jaw plate. 




No comments:

Post a Comment