Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Birds Eye Maple Candle Sticks

 Some years ago I started to make some candle sticks out of birds eye maple and then put the wood away.  I dug it out and finished the project.  First, I drew a sketch of what I wanted for the candle constructions.

Once I had the concept down I used my computer to refine the drawing.

In both the sketch and the drawing the sections are held in place by plugs which can be of almost any wood.  I choose oak I turned from a piece of scrap cut from a log.  The section thru the napkin ring is wide enough to ring slides on the wood snugly.  


In the picture above you can see I used a screw chuck to turn the bases.  These are the ones that I put aside for several years.   At the time I did not have any other chucks and had not gotten into gluing mounting blocks on the wood which would have prevented the holes in the bottom.  


After turning the base I bored a hole for the mounting plug.   You can see the plug material in the background.   On the right in back is the material I used to make the two sections and is made by gluing three curly maple boards together. 


Some assembly required at this point.   The napkin ring fits snug over the center plug section.  The tolerance for the holes on the first one was off a little so for a fit test I used blue masking tape.  I made two of these and put them together and finished on the lathe.   For the final assembly I mixed ground shavings with glue to ensure a tight fit for the holes that did not have a tight fit.  The first one I made the hole tolerance was off but the second one I drilled the hole and then turned the end to fit tight.

Here are the finished curly maple candle sticks ready for 3" diameter candles for the top.   I'll add felt to the bottom to hide the holes.  This is my third set of candle sticks I have turned.   One set holds regular candles and this set will make two that are for 3" candles.  We use 3" electric candles.









No comments:

Post a Comment