Monday, January 25, 2021

Farewell Note from James Rutledge

 The following is from an e-mail from Jim Rutledge:

Woodturners, 
Hope things are well.  As you know I have supported the (Retreat and hold) response to covid.  As people have started the vaccination process, I think that the coming summer may bring more normal conditions for us.  I want to share with you my situation which has direct impact on our woodturning club.  As you know I had a hip replacement on November 10, 2020 recovery going on well. In early December I started experiencing shortness of breath.  After extensive testing it was determined that I had developed an acute autoimmune disease called Myasthenia-Gravis (MG).  The disease attacks the voluntary muscles, eyesight, ability to balance.  I spent 16 days in the Petoskey hospital.  I am currently under the care of Dr. Levy in Petoskey who is the country’s leading authority in this disease.  I am able to walk with a walker, but not stand for long periods of time.  I have also developed some small blood clots in the lungs controlled by meds (blood thinners).  The disease also caused severe fatigue.  I would be unable to attend meetings.  (must avoid dust)  I think my woodworking career is over.  My goal at this point with my doctor is to control my symptoms (this disease is not curable) to a point allowing a more normal life.  Most people with this disease do improve to this point after a long recovery - months - years.
Steve has agreed to organize and run meetings during the half year he is here.  I am asking others to step up and help run meetings and carry this club forward.  You could make this a combined woodworking & woodturning club or not.  As I said I am not able to attend and run meetings.  Steve is just asking for help.  
Sometime in the future I will have a sale of my equipment.  A shaky man on blood thinners should not be using sharp tools on moving machinery.  Please feel free to contact me about the club or anything else.  I will miss watching us get better together.

Our connection to the schools, especially your demos were a very positive feature for us.  The St.Ignace paper has been very good promoting us.  We have new members, etc., definitely a reason to continue.  I will contribute if able in a very limited capacity.  Please contact me with questions, ideas, etc..
Jim  906-287-5114, email:  ljrut@sbcglobal.net  

Jim Rutledge
 
We all wish Jim the best and hope his health improves.  Jim we will miss having you at the meetings.
Yours friends at Hiawatha Woodturners

No comments:

Post a Comment