Saturday, January 2, 2021

Archie's Soft Burl Finally Completed

 You may recall that back in August of 2020, I posted some pictures of a soft burl I was turning and how the shavings stuck together and it ripped and did not cut well.   This is the only good piece I got from a large burl.   Most of it was so badly rotted that I had to throw it away.  I still have on unfinished bowl. 

The burl has very wide rings and you could press your finger nail into the wood.   Above is what I posted in August.  Well it is done.  Finished.  Yea.  I soaked the bowl in denatured alcohol and then dried it in a sealed bag for four months.  When I took it out it did not feel wet anymore.  Below is a side view of the finished bowl.


I cleaned out the worm holes before applying the finish.  It was a pain sand as the wood clogged the sandpaper.   Here is a look at the inside.   You can see the width of the wood rings. 

Added some decorations to the bottom.  For the writing I used an electric engraving tool and then poured the shellac over it to soak into the writing and circles.
The finish is a coat of wax free shellac then three-part finish (shellac, linseed oil, and alcohol mix) and buffed.   On top of that I put finishing wax for good measure.   Looks nice but I really had a hard the getting the sanding scratches out.  Luckily the finish hides the remaining ones.   - ajp2






No comments:

Post a Comment