Saturday, May 6, 2023

4" Walnut Box

 After making two large bowls from the walnut slab I had a small section left over and made this 4" walnut box with a maple lid.  The box has some natural inclusions and they made me think of eyes so I added a nose to add character to the box.   The nose is also made from maple.

The wood had some natural inclusions like bark that looked like eyes to me so I added a nose to give the box some character.  I took a section of wood and turned a disk, cut a 1/4" wide section and parted off a ring.  From the ring I cut a section and made the nose.   Used a shape tool to get the shape of the bowl and then made sure the curve on the nose fit the outside of the bowl using a small drum sander.  

This is the back side of the box.  Finish is one coat of shellac and three coats of wipe on poly. 

This is the box with the lid off and turned upside down showing the inside of the lid and you can see into the bowl.   Bottom of the bowl has a two rings with a knurled surface between them.  To turn the bottom of the bowl I expanded chuck jaws inside but put a large rubber band around the jaws to prevent damage to the wood. 


No comments:

Post a Comment