Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Steve Promo and Honey Locust Bowls

HWC members,

Just a reminder that we will meet this coming Saturday at the School woodshop.  Don’t forget your SHOW AND TELL pieces and BRING BACKS if you won a bring back in September, or just want to donate something to benefit our treasury.  At this time I am planning to have a meeting on November 12th at the school as well.  I will not be able to lead a meeting after November until at least April of 2023.  Just a suggestion, but I hope some of you will get together by arrangement during the winter months as there is a lot to be gained by visiting one another shops.

Last BRING BACK I won a piece of HONEY LOCUST donated by Sam Staffan.  I thought about what to make out of the firewood chunk which was about 10” in diameter, green, and very heavy.  I thought about a natural edge bowl as Sam said the bark really stays on nicely.  I decided to get a LOT of small turnings out of the log and was so pleased with how it rough turned that I drove to Mackinac City to Sams shop and he gave me two more firewood chunks.  

The multiple small hollow forms I turned from Sam’s wood were inspired by a very wide and very thick piece of MESQUITE slab wood that I got at a sawmill in Texas many years ago.  I could have made one large platter or shallow bowl from it but decided to go for a dozen smaller pieces instead.  I was just getting into selling hollow forms then so I wanted to choose a shape that was easily hollowed out with a straight round nose scraper.   (Left photo shows their orientation within the slab and right photo the finished set of three which we kept)  

I did not have a large bandsaw in Texas so I cut the blanks into vertical square cylinders with a chainsaw.  Next I batch turned them into true cylinders with bark on top between centers.  Next I bored them out with forester bits on a drilll press and glued the bottoms onto faceplated scrap blocks.  I then trued up and refined the exteriors, hollow turned the interiors, sanded and seal coated them with shellac on the lathe.  After rough turning I kept them in a cardboard box to slow evaporation and prevent cracking as I hollowed them individually.   I recall getting a dozen pieces out of that slab.  When I tried to sell them individually I was disappointed.  I later learned that THINGS IN THREES sell really well.  Now I only sell them in sets of three.  A dremel with small sanding drum was used to make the wavy rim surface.

I will demonstrate how I cut these blanks, rough turn them, and hollow them out at our meeting this Saturday.  My BRING BACK will be a set of three in HONEY LOCUST, so raid the cookie jar $ for the raffle! 😁

It would be great if one of our members could volunteer for the demo at our November 12th Meeting.  I would very much appreciate this!

See you Saturday!

Steve Promo
Current President HWC
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment