Monday, August 1, 2016

Recent Work

Every time I go over to my bandsaw, I look at a small aspen crotch that has been there for a couple of years.  So I just decided that I need to turn something out of it or burn it for firewood.  
I ran it through the bandsaw cutting it in two halves, just off center from the pith, so that one side just included the pitch.  I turned the narrower half first, shooting for a heart shaped piece.  No feathering of the grain to speak of, but I wasn't expecting any from this side of the log.  
The other side did have some feathering and I think the figure is pretty nice.  
Below are the two turnings.  The heart shaped one is about 7 1/2" across and 1 5/8 " high. The other bowl is 6 1/2" wide and 2 3/4" high.  They were both finished with Watco Danish Oil.






No comments:

Post a Comment