Friday, April 20, 2012

Cherry Burl Vase by Tom Cadwalader


Every once in awhile I pick up a piece of wood that is full of holes and has a lot of rot...but you just know it is  beautifully figured and you just have to make something from it.  That was the case with a small cherry burl I had gotten several years ago from my brother in PA.
I spilt it down the center on the band saw and salvaged as much if it as I could and then sketched up shapes for 2 vases I thought I could get from the 2 halves.
The results are in the slide show below.  The taller one is about 6 1/4 " x 3 5/8".  The smaller one is about 4 3/4" x 2 7/8 ".  Both were sealed with wax free shellac and then finished with danish oiled that was hand buffed with wool cloth once dry.

The taller one has some epoxy/crushed sea shells in a void near the base.  The shorter one was wrapped with tape near the top while I hollowed it out.

They won't be for sale.
Click on the image below to see photos.







No comments:

Post a Comment